Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Law and Sin

I finally got it!!! I have been reading Romans 6 and 7 for the past couple of weeks(with a commentary) and I was very confused on one subject. It kept saying that the law wasn't sin, but it increased sinning. I know for sure that the law is not sin, since God gave it to us. Why would a perfect God give us a sinful law? What would be the point anyway since the point of the law is to keep order and justice? Anyway...I couldn't figure out how the law increased sin, when I thought it was to keep us from sinning. And this morning I finally understood it. The commentary explained it this way: when someone forbids you from doing something, you automatically get interested in that forbidden act. It's just part of human nature. So the law(the Ten Commandments) commands us not to do certain things(adultery, coveting, disobeying our parents, worshipping other gods, etc) and we automatically get interested in those sins. So that's how it increases trespasses. If the all knowing God knew it would increase trespasses, why did he give it to us? Because the Israelites needed some form of order and justice. And so do we, over three thousand years later! So even though it does increase our sinning, it's also the best form of government and order God could have provided for us. At least that's my opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment