Monday, January 21, 2013

Fighting for Life

It seems to me that since God creates life(Genesis 2:7), loves life enough to sacrifice his son in order to offer eternal life(John 3:16), and sustains life(Hebrews 1:3) that God is pro life. It also seems to be pretty clear that a follower of Christ, who is indeed God, that follower should be pro life. It doesn't seem like there is a way around this. God is for life. So must I be for life.

Abortion is wrong, an evil, murder...This I know very well. I read articles on abortion and share those articles. I give my money to pro life causes. I claim to be pro life. 

Today I read that in 2011 a baby was aborted every ninety five seconds. Today I also listened as Obama, who will continue to let these abortions continue, was inaugurated into office. Today I realized that I need to do something.

Sometimes, like today, I will realize the state of the world-the evil, the suffering, the brokenness, the poverty, the injustice, the hunger, the death, the sadness, the pain- and become overwhelmed and discouraged. I will throw up my hands and say, "What am I supposed to do? I'm only one person. How can I fix this mess?" Today is different. I didn't give in to the discouragement. I decided to do something, instead of focusing on what I can't do.

My purpose as a follower of Christ is to be used by God to make things right, to restore things back to how God initially created them. Even in ways that seem insanely small, I want to be used to put the things in this world back into their places.

Today I decided to become a greater part of the fight for life that is taking place or needs to take place in this world. I asked God to soften my heart to the cries of the unborn. I begged him to haunt me with their screams. I don't want to simply read the articles and move on with my life, like I have been. I want to FIGHT for their lives. God has been opening doors for me: from the nagging feeling that I should be doing something more to the extra time that I now have been given to the need of help at my local pregnancy center. 

I am doing something. I am going to start volunteering at the pregnancy resource center. It's small, it may seem weak in comparison to what other people are doing. But God's strength is made perfect in weakness. I urge you to do something, if you have been convicted like I have. It may be different than volunteering, it may be lobbying or writing articles or teaching others about what abortion really is. Depending on who you are, what kind of time you have available, where you live, what your gifts are, the options for fighting this fight are probably endless. And if you don't know where to start, find your local pregnancy center. I bet they need volunteers like mine does. Do something.

God is fighting for life, and I am joining him. Will you?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Abi. You are such a blessing and I know that your efforts will produce fruit. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmygosh, I seriously just signed up to volunteer at MY local crisis pregnancy center too! Going tomorrow to get trained. Love it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete