Thursday, September 8, 2011

Summit Semester.....

...here I come!

Described by the website, Summit Semester is... "nestled in the Rocky Mountains a beautiful, modern facility where 30 students will learn from some of the top Christian scholars in the country. Our environment will nurture spiritual formation and hone intellectual skills, while also helping our students develop strong interpersonal relationships. Our goal is to prepare students for the challenges they will face at the university while motivating them to be influential leaders, shaping the ideas of culture for the glory of God and the good of our society."

Being accepted to Summit Semester and God providing the funds and great timing is seriously a dream come true. I discovered Summit Semester at a 12 day long worldview conference/seminar that I attended this May with my sister, Mary Kate. At the Summit Ministries I sat in class for about 6 hours a day(which is about 72 hours total) listening to lectures about worldviews, abortion, same-sex marriage, philosophy, politics, literature, apologetics, and much more. I never imagined liking it as much as I did. I loved it. I wanted to learn so much more. As soon as I got home, I starting reading all the "intellectual" books I had purchased at Summit. I wanted to go back to the classroom and learn all of the subjects over again.

That's when I started thinking about Summit Semester. There I would be able to learn about all those subjects I fell in love with even more in depth. And I would be able to belong to a community of believers who desired the same things I did: to glorify God through learning about the world, past and present, around us, and being challenged in so many ways. I would also be able to be "independent" and leave home alone-very challenging to me, but also a great desire, for some odd reason(probably cuz I'm 18) :) Summit Semster was in my mind for a few weeks, but then it faded, and I decided to go to Salt Lake Community College in the fall. But then God started putting Summit on my heart. So I filled out an application, sent it off, and waited for the response. I got an email from the director asking to have a phone interview. This I did with much anxiety( I hate talking on the phone, and I hate interviews). I thought that my answers to his questions would definitely deny my acceptance to the program. One week later I received another email saying that I was accepted! I was also granted a scholarship that provided for the funds that I was lacking( a major part of my decision making).

So for the past six weeks since being accepted, I have been preparing to go to Summit-working to save money, spending time with friends and family, shopping, meeting all my classmates on Facebook, saying goodbye, and packing. I leave tomorrow morning at six. I'm finally leaving for Summit Semester! I can't believe this is real. I'm so thankful to God for his provision and for the wise counsel he has placed in my life. Without those, I wouldn't be going to Summit Semester. All praise and glory goes to him. I am so excited to learn, meet new people, be challenged, and serve him in every way possible in the next three months-and forever.

So here I go, off to Summit Semester!

2 comments: