Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Revelation

Yeah, I know that sounds very Christianese, but I don't know what else to call it. Let me explain:

For a while now, I have been struggling with serving God right here and right now. I keep saying, "If I just lived somewhere else, I'd be able to serve God better." But God keeps telling me that I can serve him right here in Stockton. Somehow. Someway. God has placed me where I am for a reason.
Last night I read Romans 5:2-5, and verses 3 and 4 really stood out to me. They say, "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." A couple of nights ago, Kate and I were talking about how hard it has been growing up in Stockton. But she explained that if she hadn't lived here, she wouldn't have achieved the character she has today. Character. Pretty sure she said that exact word. And I understand that completely. If I hadn't grown up here in the loneliness without friends, I definitely would not have the relationship with God that I now have. I've been able to focus on him so much out here without the distractions of friends and events. Though it's extremely hard, I really am glad I grew up in the middle of nowhere. :) I have character because I have persevered by living out here.
When I got home from Mexico, I did not want to be here. I wanted to go back. I was even thinking of going to college next February instead of next August because I did not want to be in this place. Not that I hate Stockton or anything, but I just feel so useless out here. After a week of go-go-go, serving God every single day actively, it was just a pain to come back here with nothing to do. So I was talking a little bit about that with my friend Nathan last night. And he told me to read the Romans passage. Which I did, and God confirmed for the third time that I'm here for a reason. Now that I have the character(although I don't think God is done working on my character, at least I hope not!), I have hope for the future. Hope that I will always have a purpose wherever I go and in whatever I do. That really gives me great hope. And it excites me! I serve an amazing and wonderful God, and I know that full well!

2 comments:

  1. wooohooo! and remember, you CAN serve God, wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually sounded more Mormon than Christianese, especially since you posted it today. But great read! I am encouraged that you are encouraged. :)

    ReplyDelete